The history and heritage of Kudhva is omnipresent, the slate underfoot and the Engine House on the horizon are reminders of this once working land.
The Engine House, built in 1870, is the only one of its kind in North Cornwall. The quarry itself opened in 1871 but was working for just over 20 years, closing in the 1890s. The Engine House housed a beam engine which hauled slate and pumped water as part of the open cast mining of blue slate from the Upper Devonian Penpethy Beds. The site would have been a hive of activity; providing jobs for local people, distributing slate all over the world and adding to the local economy. Once the quarry closed the site fell into disrepair.
In 1972 residents and members of the Prince of Wales Engine House Society painstakingly restored the Engine House, as it stands today this is the last known work conducted on the site.
The Modern History of Kudhva.
The modern history of Kudhva, is one of an entirely different realm. Locals tell tales of free parties and skinny dipping, in the once quarry now lake. People reminisce about their first dates, watching the sun set over gull rock, or their summer reunions with friends over a campfire, in the forest. It seems that the seclusion of Kudhva, and its island like nature, allowed it to become a private haven for so many different people.
Our aim with Kudvha is to create an off-grid hive of activity, which once again gives something back to all those who visit, from near or far.